Monday, October 15, 2012

The Gentleman's Guide to Life


So let me start by saying that I'm a terrible person to listen to… I once tried making a grilled cheese in the toaster, I went through a phase where I thought Hawaiian shirts were cool, and I’ve leapt off my room with an umbrella thinking I would float to the ground. In fact, I did the umbrella thing three separate times because I thought my umbrella wasn't big enough the time before. Needless to say, I’m not the kind of guy you want to take advice from.

Maybe if I added a cape....

Now that I've gotten that out of the way, once upon a time I decided to write down my views on a variety of subjects, from dancing to walking down stairs. Mostly I wrote for laughs, but certain people seemed to enjoy them and so I wrote more. In the course of writing these “guides” I learned a lot about myself, and about how I actually felt about certain things. I really came to enjoy writing, and it really helped me clear my thoughts. Sadly this was all on my old laptop, and when it suddenly died I lost almost everything on it.

Recently I started writing again, and I realized how much I missed it. Short stories, ideas, letters, even this blog… And now I've decided to re-write  The Gentleman’s Guide to Life. It's one of my favorite things I ever wrote, and now I hope I can recapture that magic again. If not, I'll at least have fun doing it. The guide will be broken into many parts, and I'll still post things besides just the guide. So don't worry, I'll still post about dinosaurs and Batman.

I’m going to start with something everyone needs to know: The Gentleman’s Guide to First Dates  which actually may be a misleading title. It’s for anyone, not just men. And while the overall arc is about the first date, the ideas discussed can be applied to many things.

Just like Calvin and Hobbes
OK, time to get to work on actually writing this thing. My posting schedule may be erratic, but we’ll survive. Part one will be on how to make the perfect CD. 



1 comment: