Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Fall is Coming

Wow, it's kind of cold outside. I went to the dumpster behind my apartment in my usual lounging outfit (sleep shorts and a thin tee, if you are a visual thinker) to empty my trash can and was shocked that it was so chilly. This really isn't why I'm posting tonight, but I've heard that talking about the weather is a good way to break the ice. That's why polar bears hate talking about the weather.

I've been busy lately, but I wrote a short story while sitting in class the other day that I felt like posting. This story came about because Ann Hamilton, half of Shenanigans of E26, sent me random symbols and told me to write a story using some of them. Since I was sitting in Econ for Managers I really didn't have anything better to do so I spent the rest of class crafting the story that follows. I personally don't feel like it's my best work (that being either my Dr. Horrible sequel or "Tim and Batman Go Ride Dinosaurs and Then Eat Bacon") but I need to get more comfortable letting others read my work, and what better place for that than my sexy blog. Hope you enjoy.

Also, I haven't forgotten my other projects. They are just more of a slow process than I originally thought. Think of this as a chance to practice some delayed gratification.

I present: Góshé

Góshé

In a place not too different from where you are right now, a young creature gazed up at the stars longingly. This creature, whose name is impossible for you or I to properly say since it is a combination of both sound and smell, was a carefree soul who wondered what the glowing lights in the sky were. Sadly, he was destined to never know… but that’s not important to this story.
                Góshé, which is what we’re going to call this particular being, always knew that he was destined for more. “More than what?” was always the question he asked himself, but he had no answer. He just knew, deep in his soul (or at least his version of a soul), he was destined for great things. He only needed to figure out what those things were. Góshé was fortunate that he was such a blessed being, that the universe continually presented him with opportunities. It helped that he was practically worshiped by the tall ones. Being a god has its benefits.
Art!!! Góshé would create beautiful art, he would be a master. His work would make even the simplest of creatures gasp in awe. For Góshé, inspiration came from the simplest of places. The tall ones had left him a tribute in the form of a cloth top sitting on the soft rock in their wooden cave, and Góshé never turned down an offering. He knew he could take this basic offering and turn it into a work of art that would make the tall ones marvel. He grabbed the offering, pausing only to reflect on his work as he transformed the simple top cloth into something great. When he finished he stood back and admired his masterpiece, pleased with his creation. He carried the much improved top cloth to the tall ones, but even he was not ready for their reaction. As soon as they saw Góshé and his artwork they began to make loud noises of celebration and they even enacted the ritual praise chase! The praise chase made Góshé’s heart pound with excitement and joy.
                By the time the tall ones had calmed, night had fallen. Góshé strode among the wooden caves, a silent protector of those less than him, those that deliver him tribute. Suddenly he realized that being a great artist was not enough. He should sing, bless the world with the sweetest music he could muster. Góshé began singing the song of his people, a song older than him, older than his parents, and his parents’ parents, older than even the wood caves  and the tall ones. He knew not where this song came from, just that it had always been with him, that it was a song that needed to be sung.
As his voice rose louder and louder he noticed something amazing. Others began joining in, both his brethren near and far as well the tall ones. The tall ones’ song was different from Góshé’s, sharper and with less rhythm, but he knew they must be happy. Singing makes one happy.
                Góshé knew he had done a great thing. He had brought great art and music into the world, along with joy and happiness to the tall ones. He realized that was his greater purpose, the “more” he was destined for… to improve the tall ones’ lives, those simple beings. Not only could he bring joy though, he could serve as an inspiration to them, a comfort, a protector. He would care for them as one cares for a pet, giving them love and compassion to help them grow into their own something “more”.  Finally content with his life, Góshé made his way to the tall ones’ wooden cave where they had set out tributes of food and water. After dining, he went to his own wooden cave the tall ones had constructed for him so could be nearer to them whenever needed. As he lay down to sleep, he sighed, pleased with his day. He was excited for tomorrow, and the next day, and the next. Góshé closed his eyes, the last thing he saw being the stars in the sky twinkling with promises of the future.
…………………………………………………………………………………………..

Sighing, Adam wrapped his arm around his wife’s waist.

“Mary, I don’t know what we're going to do with that dog. Today alone he chewed up the top hat that I was going to wear with my Halloween costume, and when I started to chase him around to get it back I bumped my shin on the table while he ran out the door. Then when I was laying Gracie down to bed he started howling like he was possessed by the devil or something. He got all the dogs in the neighborhood going at one point. I had to go outside and start yelling at him to calm down before he would stop. He’s getting to be quite the handful.”

“I know dear. But he’s a good dog. He doesn’t know what he’s doing. He probably thinks you were playing a game or something. He’s nothing but a big sweetheart. Look at him out there, sleeping in his doghouse you built. Can you tell me you don’t love that big goofball dog of ours?” Mary said with a smile on her lips.

“You know I do,” said Adam, a smile beginning to creep onto his lips as well. “I just get frustrated sometimes. I know he’s just a dog, but when I look into his eyes I can’t help but to feel like there’s something more in there, you know? I think tomorrow I’m going down to the store and buying him a new chew toy. Maybe he’ll stop tearing up my stuff then.”

“He’ll like that. Now let’s go to bed. Tomorrow’s a big day, full of promise and such.” Mary replied, taking Adam’s hand and leading him to the bedroom. As she passed the window she looked out at the stars in the sky, smiling at the thought of Adam chasing that dog around the house over a silly top hat. 
“Full of promise indeed."


1 comment:

  1. First of all, thanks for the shout out. Second of all, I'm glad you posted your story! Third of all, your pun about polar bears made me laugh out loud. Well done.

    ReplyDelete