Sunday, January 27, 2013

I can cook, I swear

Well, maybe cook is a strong word. I have the ability to combine food ingredients and apply heat in a way that is reminiscent of a mad scientist. My creations tend to leave a lot to be desired in the looks department, even if they taste delicious and have a beautiful soul on the inside. 

He actually volunteers on the weekends.
So last week I decided it was time to definitely knock one of my goals for the year out, and I figured that the first one that I had to conquer was to create an original recipe/dish that included bacon. I struggled with this one though because everything that can be done with bacon seems to have been done. Then it hit me: What am I really good at making??? Grilled cheese, spaghetti, mac and cheese, and of course bacon. So me being the genius that I am decided to combine these beautiful foods into a incredible superfood. And since my good friend Niah is the one who decided to give me this goal, she had to suffer through this experiment into madness. So now I present: The Pasta Bacon Grilled Cheese Sandwich

Now I'm really bad at taking pictures, and Niah got distracted with some game on my phone so there's a severe lack of photo documentation in this post, but you'll get what I have. 

My first step is to have a plan if everything goes wrong. In this case I believe junk food is the best option.
I've got most of the elf food groups covered.
 The next actual step is to make bacon. I vary on how I like to do this, but usually I just use my oven. I feel it gives me the crisp I desire while still retaining enough moisture not to be crunchy. Though I usually do make a couple of pieces so on the stovetop so I can hear the sound of the bacon frying.
 Now these next pictures must come with a warning: I am making bacon... Ladies.



I'm not a model, I just play one on T.V.
Next I had to make the pastas. Instead of making two pots of different pastas, I decided to make a mac and cheese cup and a small pot of spaghetti so I didn't have too much food. Though you really can't have too much pasta.







Yeah, I'm pretty much ready to be an Iron Chef.









                       Well maybe not...











It was finally time to actually put this monstrosity together. I started by just putting down my bread, then placed my cheese and finally my pasta. This was the same process I used for both sandwiches, one that I've considered patenting.
 
Of course I then messed up and burnt my first one. Lucky for me I tend to enjoy slightly burnt food
I really prefer the term well done.

 And that was it. It was time for this to either be an incredible success or a colossal failure. Personally my nerves were getting to me
Sorry I'm not better looking.
And then..... SUCCESS!!!! My first bite was delicious. The cheesiness mixed with the heavenlike bacon and the pasta-y goodness made this tempest of flavor and consistencies. It was probably the greatest dish that was made that date in the entire world. Or something. It was pretty good though, seriously.


And what did my fearless compatriot Niah think about my creation? I like to think it turned out it was Tim-tested, Niah-approved.



Overall, I'm pretty happy with how everything turned out. I knocked a goal off my list, had a great time, and probably cut a few months off my life. It's nice to actually see things through for a change. Well, that's it for now. Sadly my next post probably won't be so delicious.

And for those of you who stuck around til the end, here's a plate of bacon:
'Merica 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment